Friday, November 8, 2013

Might As Well Jump


A little over a year ago my husband and I went to see Van Halen perform in Charlotte. Before you even ask, it was Van Halen, not Van Hagar. Lucky for us we got to see the original band featuring "Diamond Dave" — David Lee Roth perform.

The concert was excellent, as I am a huge Eddie Van Halen fan. Like cheese, wine and a good leather satchel, Eddie just gets better with age. Anyway, we were enjoying the concert when suddenly everyone left the stage except for Roth. "These are my dogs," he says as a big screen appears behind him. And for the next 15 minutes we watched a beautiful short film about this dogs. Beautiful but quite strange as a rock concert. None of us in the audience really knew what to do with this information.

Turns out that Roth grew up on a farm in Indiana. With that nugget of knowledge it doesn't seem so strange.

What does this have to do with Lake Norman, Lori? You might be asking yourself. Well this weekend is The 2013 Rural Hill Sheepdog Trials and Dog Festival. I've never been and am happy to say that I will be attending tomorrow.

Supposedly there will be a lot of things going on such as the National Border Collie Sheepherding Championships, as well as demonstrations by the Carolina Dock Dogs and the Greater Charlotte Shetland Sheepdog Club. I can't imagine what I'm in for, but I have an idea it's going to be super cool (and cute).

Just to get me in the mood, I think I'll listen to a little of Van Halen's 1984 album on the way there. As Dave sang in the '80s, "Might as well jump."

Enjoy lake living,

Lori K. Tate
Editor, CURRENTS Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment