Saturday, November 11, 2017

'Cue Lunch!

During the week, I usually eat lunch at my desk. So when I get the chance to go out for lunch, I jump at it — especially if its with my family.

Today we all lucked out. I needed to go to Birkdale Village to work on a story for the December issue, and I had just edited Holly Becker's upcoming story about Midwood Smokehouse (also for the upcoming December issue). Holly's copy is always solid, but her descriptions about the cuisine at Midwood Smokehouse grabbed me and would not let me go — especially when she mentioned Southern Living voted Midwood's mac and cheese the best in North Carolina. All through the week I kept mentioning how a new barbecue place at opened at Birkdale, hoping that someone would suggest we should go.

A little background here. I grew up helping prepare barbecue for my church's yearly barbecue in nearby Cabarrus County. I married a barbecue snob that turns his nose up at any barbecue that is not vinegar based. In addition, we have a close family friend who's traveled the region judging barbecue. In other words, I know good 'cue when I eat it. 

Back to Midwood. My family decided to tag along with me to Birkdale on Saturday, so I suggested (really demanded) that we try Midwood Smokehouse. They were up for it, so off we went. As soon as we walked in, I knew we had made a good choice.

The interior was spacious and hip with all kinds of vintage beer ads and pig art on the walls, and the smell was divine. We quickly ordered, as we couldn't wait to sink our teeth into lunch. My children ordered kids' barbecue sandwiches with mac and cheese (note: kids 10 and under eat for $5.50). My husband ordered a barbecue sandwich with collard greens, and I went all out by ordering brisket on Texas toast with pimento cheese and a side of baked beans.

Before lunch arrived, we snacked on a basket of sweet potato fries, which were fantastic. Then our plates arrived. From the first bite, we were all in love. Graydon announced that his mac and cheese was the best he'd ever tasted - high praise from any 7-year-old, as that's one of their food groups. Margot said, "We are definitely coming back here." My husband was too busy devouring his sandwich and collards to say anything, and I couldn't eat my meal fast enough.

That said, if you like awesome 'cue, you owe it to yourself to try Midwood Smokehouse. Our family will be back, and who knows? I might leave my desk during the week and go have lunch there by myself. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment